For immediate need 706.629.2832
Send Flowers

Our Services

Veteran Services

Many of us take our freedoms for granted, but our staff at Thomas Funeral Home proudly acknowledges the sacrifices made by those who have served our country through their patriotism, love of country and willingness to protect others.

Our staff is committed to providing quality service and professional assistance to help families complete the necessary forms to obtain benefits that are provided through the United States Department of Veterans Affairs for deceased veterans.

When serving a veteran family, we help them understand the two most common questions.

“What benefits are available to Veterans?”
and “Does my loved one qualify?”

We’ve included information here that will answer both questions, but most families want to know even more, which is why we have an easy form below to request more information. If you fill this out, a knowledgeable member of our staff will be happy to assist you.

What is available?

Burial and Funeral services

The service for veterans will be determined by the status of the veteran. The basic Military Funeral Honors (MFH) ceremony includes the folding and presentation of the United States flag to the veterans family and the playing of Taps. The ceremony is performed by a funeral honors detail consisting of at least two members of the Armed Forces. For further information please visit:

Headstones for Veterans

The Department of Veteran Affairs provides a headstone for unmarked graves of an eligible deceased veteran at no charge. To request a headstone, grave marker, or niche marker fill out VA Form 10-1330 and send to:

Fax: 800-455-7143
Or mail the discharge papers and the form to:
Memorial products Service (41B)
Department of Veteran Affairs
5109 Russell Road
Quantico, VA 22134-3903

For further information visit:

Burial Flags

You may be eligible for a burial flag if you’re the next of kin or a close friend of the Veteran or Reservist and one of the descriptions below is true for that person. Form VA form 27-2008 will need to be filled out and given to your Funeral Director, a VA Regional office, or a United States Post Office. For further information visit

Presidential Memorial Certificate
You may be eligible if you meet both of the requirements listed below.
1. The Veteran or Reservist is eligible for burial in a national cemetery
2. You’re next of kin, family member, or close friend of the Veteran or Reservist (or an authorized service representative for a family member or friend of the Veteran or Reservist)

To request more copies of PMC please download and fill out VA Form 40-0247. For further information please visit:

How do I receive the benefits?

The preferred method is to request a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. The DD Form 214 can be obtained by filling out a Standard Form 180 and sending it to:

National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132

If the DD form 214 is unavailable, any discharge document showing other than dishonorable service can be used.

For more information please visit

How do I receive the benefits?

One of these must be true. The person qualifying for burial benefits is:

  • A Veteran who didn't receive dishonorable discharge, or
  • A Service member who died while on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty for training, or
  • The spouse or minor child of a Veteran, even if the Veteran died first, or
  • In some cases, the unmarried adult dependent child of a Veteran